|h o l l a n d r o a d s h u l||
O U R S Y N A G O G U E
Holland Road Synagogue was established in 1929 (5689)
At the beginning of December 1914, Aaron Samuels moved from Westcliffe-on-Sea, Essex to Montefiore Road Hove. There were a number of Jewish anglicised Sephardim business people in Brighton who attended the ornate Brighton Synagogue but some found the walk to Middle Street rather too far. (The shul in Middle Street was built in 1874 and consecrated in 1875).
The first Trustees, Woolfe Bilmes, Abraham Gould, Louis Woolfe Frankel and Samuel Haniston found the building, 'Moss’s Olympic Gymnasium' at the corner of Landsdown Road and Holland Road.
He, Aaron, after consulting his father-in-law, Rabbi Nachum Lipman, Rosh Hashochemtim for 44 years decided to form a Minyan at his home.
Mr L W Frankel, a member of Middle Street, annoyed at not having been ‘called up’ after his return from Palestine, arranged a meeting of a few interested men at his house in 13 Brunswick Terrace, Hove to discuss the formation of a Synagogue Committee to establish a shul in Hove for people living in the area.
Rev. S. Anekstein was the first Minister for the New Synagogue which became the Hove Hebrew Congregation Synagogue on June 9th 1929 when the official stone laying took place. The building was opened on 23rd February 1930 (25 Shvat 5690).
Above: The gymnasium in Holland Road erected in 1883 and run by Charles Hutton Moss.
Laying of the Foundation Stone:
Chief Rabbi Hertz with Rev S Annekstein and Honoured Guests • 1926
20th October • 30 Tishri
21st October • 1 Cheshvan
See 'SERVICES' for Timetable
Our celebratory kiddushim are (dare we say it) legendary and are offered to members on a cost price basis (from £50).
If you would like to sponsor a kiddush to celebrate a simcha or mark a special occasion please contact:
Please help to make a minyan this Friday shabbat.
COMMUNITY SECURITY TRUST
CST information is available via the 'Community' menu